Flan au Saumon et aux Asperges
Salmon and Asparagus Flan.
Pronounced: flah(n) / oh / soh moh(n) / ay / ohz ahs pehrzh
• 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
• 2 Tablespoons dried bread crumbs
• 1 lb. asparagus, woody stems removed
• 5 eggs
• 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
• 1 cup frozen peas, completely thawed
• 3 oz. smoked salmon (not lox), cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 3 Tablespoons finely minced chives
• 3 Tablespoons minced fresh dill
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Brush a 10-inch deep dish pie plate with the butter. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs, tipping the dish to coat the bottom and sides.
2. Cut off the asparagus tips.
3. Fill a high sided skillet halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add the tips and cook for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
4. Put the asparagus stems into the boiling water and cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Remove and chop.
5. Put the asparagus stems, eggs and cream into a food processor and purée.
6. Pour the purée into a bowl and stir in the peas, salmon, herbs and salt and pepper. Pour into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until almost set. Remove, decorate the top with the reserved asparagus tips. Return and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until set.
Serve warm or at room temperature.