We awoke to no rain, but we did have a decision to make. Pretty much all of our gear was wet, other than the clothes we had on. And the forecast was not looking good. Our itinerary had us heading to the car, and driving north into the main part of the park to Paintbrush Canyon, so we decided to hold off on a final call until we were in the car.
On the way down we met three guys who had been out for the night at Phelps Lake. We enjoyed talking to them, and when we reached our car at the trail head and it started to rain, we offered them a ride since their car was still almost a mile away. They squeezed in, and we got them to their car.
Once in, Kelly and I made the call to see if we could find a hotel for the night. We first tried Jenny Lake Lodge, but it was VERY EXPENSIVE! We drove up to Signal Mountain Lodge, which was more reasonable, and checked in. We had about an hour of very strong sun so I laid everything out and got it mostly dry, before the weather turned again. We looked up in to the canyons and new we had made the right decision! We enjoyed a nice meal and a warm bed. And dry clothes!
(While we certainly could have trudged on, we would have spent many hours in the tent waiting out the rain. The next day we hiked to Paintbrush and met a couple coming down how had camped, and they said they were pretty much poured on all afternoon, evening, and night!)
As I was reading your description of the conditions/weather, I was hoping you’d make the decision that you actually did make. I love the pictures.