This last trip was my longest yet, and there were no real re-supply stops planned. (We did pass through the Walasi-yi / Mountain Crossing Store at Neels Gap, and I did buy Combos and Fig newtons — two things I had wanted to buy before we started, but Target didn’t have them.) So we had to carry 4.5 days worth of food with us. That is both bulky and weighs a lot!
The 1st and 2nd day, I kept thinking I had way too much food, but by the end of the trip, there was not that much left over, even though we came out in 4 days instead of 4.5…. So I didn’t have as much extra as I thought.
- 8 packs of instant oatmeal (I need 2 for breakfast!)
- 2 packs of pop tarts (pop tarts are snacks too)
- 4 individual tuna/cracker kits
Snacks (to go with lunch or dinner, or as a real in-between meal snack)
- small packs of pringles (I love these things and ate them at just about every lunch and dinner, and ran out. Next time I should just bring full size cans)
- small packs of chips ahoy cookies — a desert after dinner, lunch
- combos — I still love these
- fig newtons — yummy
- cheese – ate with lunch and dinner
- chocolate covered espresso beans — great lift around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, when we were hitting 13 or 14 miles on the day
- trail mix — I had two bags and only ate about 1/2 of one of them. I noticed they were 10 oz each! That is a lot of weight to carry and not eat!
- 4 dehydrated meals from Mary Jane — these are very good vegetarian meals!
- water at the springs/streams (filtered with MSR pump filter)
- heed — I had two zip lock bags, and used it all by the end of the 3rd day
- coffee for breakfast — don’t leave home without it! 🙂
- energy bars — I had a few more of these than I ate, though I still ate 2 each day
- tissue rejuvenator – has glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, as well as natural anti-inflammatory herbs such as ginger, tumeric, etc.
- ibuprofen – started as preventative but I needed it by the end!
What to try/do different next time:
- perpetuem instead of heed (? – this has a little protein mixed in, where as heed is just carbs and electrolytes)
- more heed, since I ran out
- big cans of pringles instead of the snack packs
- more variety for lunch — maybe peanut butter, honey, crackers, etc.
- keep a better before and after inventory so I know exactly how much extra I had!